Monday 27 June 2011

Bowling For Columbo

Mr John Martz, whom I follow on The Twitter, summed up the social networking take on slabritty deaths:

FACT: the Internet was invented as a means by which to tell the world you are a fan of a recently-deceased celebrity's most obscure work.

Hey! The Twitter! You too, BookFace! It's ok for you to know actors / singers / authors / sports "personalities" for their best known stuff!

If I were a slabritty, I think I would be pretty narked if some hipster greeted me as a fan only to tell me they loved my most obscure work and almost refused to acknowledge my hit films / books etc etc because everyone else likes them.
Or would I? You see, I have a few strains of hipster in me; it's why I won't watch Avatar or eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut. Lots of other people go on and on about how awesome they are!
As for The Inbetweeners, while all "tha kidz" who quote it incessantly now were still watching Tracey Beaker, I was laughing at "Besssssst Fwend, Football Fwend" at stupid o'clock in the morning on BBC Three. Pfft Bus stop wankers. So I liked it less; I still watched it, but with a smattering of resentment that "other people" had cottoned on to it.

Anyway, Mr Martz's tweet came after the recent news of Peter Falk's death; three things were trending on The Twitter at the time: Peter Falk, Princess Bride and, of course, Columbo. Most of the time when significantly linked things like that are trending, you kind of know that it's not going to be good news.
I really like Lt. Columbo, I don't know if I would have liked Peter Falk, but if he had been like his on-screen character, then I think I would have liked him a very lot. The lieutenant used the Marple technique of: "Oh hi criminals, I'm affable and a bit dense! Fear me not" then pow pow pow! Solved and sorted. They're planning to remake Miss Marple with Jennifer Garner as the eponymous female detective; it'll be rubbish. I hope they never ever ever ever try to remake Columbo, as Peter Falk (for me and, I'm sure many others) owns that role.

Here's a link for him at Dean Martin's Slabritty roast for Frank Sinatra.

And here's a sketcHiness pic of him; that's all really, but I was genuinely sad when I heard the news of his death. Thanks for the mainstream awesomeness, Mr Falk.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...